Monday, February 6, 2012

How do I love thee...

German made beads exported in great quantities in the Middle East early 20th century hence the name Islamic beads

Yes its almost that time of the year when romance is in the air and everywhere you turn there are couples holding hands and chocolate shops have a tremendous boost in their sales.   I don't know how you feel about this day of the year, whether you happily agree with its sentiments or feel that its too commercial by half, but I  do know that  I couldn't help but be influenced a wee bit.

It seems everything I've been making lately is in hues of red...

Whether its the first pair of earrings with its moon and starts motif or this  gorgeous pair of red millefiori earrings
the beads are from the 50s
 or this beauty of a millefiori bracelet..
the beads here are even older
 I lucked out and found a trove of very special French made beads dating back from the beginning of the 20th century and they are beautiful. This is the first necklace I made from that stash.
I wanted to show you a closer view of the bead.  Its a glass bead with little pearls inserted right in the middle of it.  Isn't it cool?


And finally here is a demi-parure of earrings and necklace. I used faceted red glass beads from the 50s and Kakamba beads. These beads were made in France, Bohemia and Germany starting in the 19th century and exported to Africa as trade beads.

 I love the way the splashes of red play against the white background

I will upload these in the hsop but if you are interested in any of these beauties, don't hesitate to get in touch with me at dpmerveilles(@)gmail.com.

Have a great week everyone!

1 comment:

  1. yummy yummy goodies! i'm in love with the last two necklaces pictured. oh you have no idea how much i want so many of your creations!!! i'm saving up for Des Petites Merveilles. :)

    ReplyDelete