Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Tough times for the glass makers

Hello folks, its definitely winter in this part of the world. I have the impression to be freezing cold. Time to bunker down and work.  Took a bit of a break and came across an article from the Guardian about the uncertain future faced by the Murano glass workers.  You can find the full article here.

Being a glass maker is hard work and less and less people want to do it.  Coupled with the fierce competition from Chinese and Eastern European beads, its little wonder that the industry is facing some tough times.  Reading this makes me even more appreciative of the beads that I've managed to collect in the relatively short time that I've been making jewelry.  It makes me sad to think that this industry might well go the way of dinosaurs and I'm even more determined to preserve what I can.  Its not really a New Years resolution but one that I'm taking to heart.

2 comments:

  1. oh wow, that's a shame. can't blame you for feeling sad about this, but it's a goo thing you've collected such glass beads. certainly you should hang on to what you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing that article. It is very unfortunate that quality glass workers from Murano are having such a difficult time. It does sound as if they need to get organized and more scientific about identifying their gorgeous pieces. I think that updating their styles might be very ingenious... and then they will need some marketing know how. Imitations of everything are so infuriating! I hope you have a treasure trove of vintage Murano!!

    ReplyDelete