Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Of houseboats and locks

A distant view of the Bastille column

Not too far from where we live is a canal with lots of houseboats parked all year round.  I hardly ever pay them any attention because they've become so much a part of my normal landscape. As I was going through my photos, I came across some we took late last fall before the cold hit and I thought I'd share them here.

It was a really mild weekend so we decided to take a little walk and I got to see a unknown part of the canal that I've long taken for granted.  Just past where all the houseboats are parked  we came across a system of locks.  I thought it had long been closed to general use but to my surprise, its still very much a working lock.  Just as we were passing by, we saw this boat come along...



 And through some unseen lever or button, they managed to activate the system. The gates started to open...
 and the water started to rise
 and rise!

 And there they go, ready to join the other side of the canal.  It was a really funny thing to see in the middle of the city, so close to where I live.  It made me wonder how it would be to live on a houseboat.

2 comments:

  1. I think that living on a house boat much be so much fun - great pics :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love seeing snippets of local life like this one you shared! how interesting! and yes, it does make one wonder how it would be to live on a houseboat. i think it must be quite romantic. :)

    ReplyDelete