Sunday, May 22, 2011

Vintage find of the week





 Paris with all its flea markets, antique fairs and stores also has its fair share of vintage and thrift shops. There are a number of fancy vintage stores and their museum quality pieces and prices but there are also a good number of fun stores carrying great quantities of "vintage" and second hand clothes. One of the more popular one is Free P Star located in the historic Marais area.  Its one of those places that's filled to the brim with 60s, 70s clothing, shoes, bags and there's no order to the madness. You go in and you risk losing hours in the store if you are into vintage. Jarvis Cocker used to shop there too!  I remember when I first arrived here, how much fun it was to browse through its racks. Back then (and here, I'm talking about just five years ago) they had no anti-shoplifting tags nor alarm system, and there wasn't a big crowd constantly pushing and shoving. I'm afraid its become a bit of a victim of its own success as its now extremely crowded and one can hardly see anything.

This weekend I've discovered that they've opened up two new branches. Eh oui, vintage is big business. I had to stop by of course. Perhaps because its all new or because of the late hour,  I actually had room to browse.  To tell you the truth, I was a bit disappointed because I didn't see anything I liked though there was no shortage of fun 60s psychedelic shifts on their racks. But as I was leaving, I saw this beauty of a handbag hanging on the far back wall. Shiny gold lurex thread with black and bright and orange stripes, how could I resist?



Its in perfect condition and I love how it says made in Japan by hand.  A little check reveals that Walborg company was founded by Hilde Walborg Weinberg in the late 40s in New York.  Original designs from the 40s and 50s were produced in Belgium, Italy and France.   From the late 50s to the 60s, bags, such as mine, were made in Japan.

I certainly can't wait to take it out for a spin!

As always don't forget to check out other lovely vintage finds over at Apron Thrift Girl and Her Library Adventures

5 comments:

  1. i agree. it does look special.
    and oh oui, les frippes à paris!!!
    (says the one from belgium...) ;)))
    n♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh i'd love to take it out for a spin too - just fabulous! Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great score, great for an evening out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, that handbag is stunning! I have a weakness for vintage accessories. *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm drooling at your new bag. It's gorgeous! I can imagine an evening out in Paris with the bag on my shoulder. I'm very envious both of the bag and of the evening out in Paris.

    Madison xxx

    ReplyDelete